12-Year-Old Mississippi Student Develops Apple App
A seventh grade student of Jackson, Miss., becomes one of Apple’s youngest app developers. Charley Hutchison, 12, worked for months to create FriendsForFlickr, an iPhone friendly app that updates Flickr photos with mobile contacts.
According to a report by The Clarion Ledger, Charley said, “I’ve always been really interested in computers. Then my parents had an iPhone, and I really loved playing with apps on there, so I decided, why don’t I make my own app?” Charlie continued on to say, “If there’s so many already on the store, surely I can make one myself.”
Charley’s math instructor commented in news reports on how she realized how unique he was when Charley raised questions about algorithms in middle school. According to an article on the Mississippi Bussiness Journal in late May, Charley worked diligently to get his app approved before reaching age 12 in early May. Charley received the phone call that his app was approved in late April.
Mission accomplished. With the release of the iPhone 5 on last week, Apple users have the option of downloading Charley”s creation from the Apple store.
Charley is’t the only preteen making applications. Jordan Casey, 12, is Europe’s youngest application developer. Jordan developed the games Alien Ball vs Humans and its sequel, Alien Ball vs Humans 2: Holiday. Adobe featured Jordan on their blog in July.
Something tells me this young innovator has a bright future. Not many college students can claim the victory of developing an app. What were you doing at age 12?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Technology Articles
Recent Southern Miss News Articles
RECENT SOUTHERN MISS CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP SOUTHERN MISS NEWS
- Tom Segura's No Teeth No Entry Tour Sells Out Ruby Diamond
- Tallahassee's Hip Hop Celebrated at the Annex
- How to Respond to 4 Common Student Questions
- How to Establish Trust With Your Residents
- How to Handle Horrible Roommates
- Martin Luther King Jr. and His Legacy
- What Do Students Look for in a Job Environment?
MOST POPULAR SOUTHERN MISS NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of MississippiMississippi State UniversityUniversity of Southern MississippiAlcorn State UniversityBelhaven CollegeDelta State UniversityJackson State UniversityMillsaps CollegeMississippi CollegeMississippi University for WomenMississippi Valley State UniversityUniversity of Mississippi Medical CenterWilliam Carey UniversityCoahoma Community College East Central Community College East Mississippi Community CollegeHinds Community College Holmes Community College Itawamba Community College Jones County Junior College Mississippi Delta Community CollegeAcademy of Hair Design-JacksonAcademy of Hair Design-PearlAntonelli College-HattiesburgAntonelli College-JacksonBlue Cliff College-GulfportBlue Mountain CollegeChris Beauty CollegeCopiah-Lincoln Community CollegeCopiah-Lincoln Community College Simpson County CenterCopiah-Lincoln Community College-Natchez CampusCorinth Academy of CosmetologyCreations College of CosmetologyDay Spa Career CollegeDelta Beauty CollegeDelta Technical CollegeFosters Cosmetology CollegeHealing Touch Career CollegeMagnolia College of CosmetologyMidwest Technical Institute-RidgelandMississippi College of Beauty CultureMississippi Institute of Aesthetics Nails & CosmetologyNorthwest Mississippi Community CollegeRust CollegeSoutheastern Baptist CollegeSouthwest Mississippi Community CollegeThe Academy of Hair Design SixTougaloo CollegeTraxlers School of HairUniversity of Phoenix-MississippiVirginia College-BiloxiVirginia College-Jackson
- By State
- By City